Wednesday, December 08, 2004

How to Make a Gin and Tonic

Since I just diatribed about it, I thought it would be judicious to include instructions on how to make the perfect Gin and Tonic.

This is a very simple drink to make, and therefore the difference between making a good Gin and Tonic and an excellent one is a matter of details.

First, select a tumbler, or glass of similar volume. If it has been sitting for a long time, rinse it out with water (do not bother to dry it). If it is your intention to drink more than the tumbler can hold, be patient. This should be done by refilling the glass, as opposed to using a larger one.

Second, pour in the Gin. I highly suggest Bombay Sapphire, although Tanquery is also a good choice. The Gin should be either room temperature or slightly chilled.

Then pour in the Tonic. The best Gin and Tonics contain Tonic from a bottle that has just been opened, and has therefore lost none of its carbonation. Flat Tonic is the easiest way to lose points when mixing a G&T. You will have to use trial and error to determine just how strong you want the drink. I personally suggest somewhere between a 3:1 and 5:1 ratio of Tonic to Gin. The Tonic should be well refridgerated, and will compensate for the warmth of the Gin.

Finally, take a wedge of lime, squeeze it into the glass, and then drop it in. The wedge should not be large-less than an eighth of the whole. A lemon can be used as well, but I myself find the lime to be superior.

Your Gin and Tonic is now ready to be enjoyed. It should be savored but not sipped. I hope you like it.

1 comment:

Joe Kreuser said...

Andrew, I accept your criticism-provided that it is meant in a constructive nature, of course-which I believe it is. Thank you for noting that my use of the em/endash was inappropriate and wrong-something that goes unnoticed too often these days. Indeed, even now I am waiting for the dash police to come and imprison me in an imprenitrable island fortress from which there is no escape-unless, of course, I was a spy. Which I'm not. Oh well.