Sunday, June 08, 2008

Wanted

I've seen the trailers for Wanted for awhile now, and they looked pretty cool. Although I had heard about the comic series, I hadn't read it. So last Friday I picked up the trade paperback so I could read it before the movie. And after finishing it earlier today, I can safely conclude that the movie will be very, very different from the comic. Not necessarily in plot, but in particulars. In the comics, the plot revolves around a boring, everyday loser whose father, who he's never known, dies. But his father, who was part of a Fraternity of supervillians who killed all the superheroes in 1986 and now secretly run the world, left him a ton of money and a genetic legacy of being able to kill just about anything. However, to collect his inheritance, this kid must become part of the Fraternity, which means he gets to create a trail of rape, murder and mayhem wherever and whenever he wants. Essentially, Wanted takes place in a universe where the bad guys won. And it means they get to indulge in every sick, twisted fantasy they want with repercussions.

I enjoyed the comic quite a bit, and I'm guessing the movie plot will have many of the same elements. But I'm going to go ahead a guess that Hollywood will change the edgier aspects of the comic into something a little more palatable for people. We'll see how well it works-the superhero/supervillian dynamic is kind of what gives the comic its backbone. That and the massive amounts of unPC violence and swearing. I'm now slightly skeptical about the movie.

No comments: