Friday, August 04, 2006

A call for support

There are many idiots in the world. One of them is running this country. Others are in charge of various groups around the world. Your boss may be an idiot. Some bosses are. Some bosses are bigger idiots than others.

I have know Mr. Erik Hanberg since the fall of 2000, when we met as roommates while abroad for Carleton's London program. We bonded when we discovered we both disliked our third roommate. In all the time I've known him, I have found him to be someone who is passionate about his interests, which include truth in all its forms, movies and Lauren Bacall. He is also someone who works hard on anything he wants to accomplish, and all the more so when those goals happen to coincide with his passions. He has a signed picture of Lauren Bacall, he once went on a verbal tirade because a statistic someone had written in chalk outside of our dorm was a gross distortion of what the numbers actually meant, and of course for the last couple of years he has fully committed himself to running his local arthouse movie theater in Tacoma. He is one of the finest men I know, and I am glad to count him as a friend.

I have a link to Erik's blog over on the right, because I frequently find his comments and insights amusing and/or thoughtful. I strongly suggest it.

I say all this because, for reasons I won't go into here, Erik is leaving his job of Grand Pooh-Bah of The Grand. For those of you who also count him as a friend, drop him a line, either via phone or email. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

1 comment:

Erik said...

Joe, you've got a way of summing up a guy in just a short paragraph. :) Thanks for your call for support. I'm not doing too shabby right now. I've got some ideas on some future things ...