Monday, April 18, 2005

Breaking News

Hello Everyone. I've just been handed this shocking update from Rome about the deliberations of the College of Cardinals, aka Stanford (I'm not really sure why Stanford gets to choose the next pope, but since it's a tradition streching back hundreds of years I'll let it go). In a shocking turn of events, one Caleb Bartley has been selected as the new High Pope of Romeland (which, of course, is the official title). He will be installed as Pope C-Bar I in a ceremony later this week.

"I'm very excited," said Caleb in an interview early this morning. "It will be a great challenge for me to guide over 500 million catholics to the promised land of the Big Rock Candy Mountain, but one at which I do not intend to fail."

Many conservative catholics have expressed reservations at the Popehood being placed on such a young man, fearing he will side with more progressive factions of the church. But Pope C-Bar I urged his followers to remain calm and trust him. "Indeed, I above everyone recognize that I will need help and guidance in my new position. I cannot spend all my time bombing about Italy in my Popemobile looking for young and nubile girls to convert to the Holy Church of Caleb. That is why my first official act is to appoint my close personal and holy friend, Java Fortran, to the newly created post of Cardinal of Communication, for Java is the only man I know who has the ability to get me high enough to talk to God." C-Bar I went on to reveal that he had already initiated contact with the Almighty, and that a productive conversation had taken place. "I am happy to report that we toked, I mean talked, for a good hour and a half," reported Caleb. "He was happy to offer me a lot of advice on many problems the church is facing in this new millenium." One of the topics on which Caleb and God spoke extensively was the issue of allowing women to join the clergy. Though the previous pope was a staunch opponent of this change, Caleb gave signs to indicate his first decree will allow women to integrate quickly into the highest levels of the church. "When I agreed to take this job, the first thing I thought of was 'do I really wanted to be waited on by a buch of old guys with a prediliction for red robes?' My converstaion with the Big Guy confirmed that he wants as many women as possible working with me to help relieve the tensions of the church." The new pope also indicated that changes in the tranditional church robes could be on the way. "The church needs to become more health-conscious. Studies have consistently shown that exposure to sunlight, in moderation, has a positive effect on the mood as well as increasing levels of key vitamins in the body. I intend to design a new, minimalist, 'less-is-more' style of dress for the church, which will be tested on many of the new women clergymembers. I will keep in close contact with them so as to carefully monitor the results."

Caleb announced another appointment this morning, revealing that Erik Hanberg will become the first Vice Pope in 500 years. "I can't do it all alone," said C-Bar I. "I will need help reaching the people of the world, and no one can help me do that better than Mr. Hanberg. Together we will throw the greatest mass parties the church as ever seen." Vice Pope Hanberg was unavailable for comment, as he has already been sequestered to plan an introductory celebration to allow everyone to get to know the new Pontiff and his staff. Reports indicate that kegs of sacramental wine, communion wafers and shots of Russian vodka will be served.

The new pope finished his interview by revealing that in the upcoming weeks he would be considering changes to the sacrament of communion, specifically at replacing the wine with Jack and Diet Coke and the wafers with Sun Chips.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And in other news, all women under 5'7", busty, with some junk in the trunk have been brought into the catholic faith. Irregardless of previous denomination, spiritual leaning, and/or blantant stubborness; Pope C-Bar I has decreed that this is for the better of his community. According to the Cardinal of Communication: "woah, damn, got to start working..."

-D. Retribution

Anonymous said...

Also, after much 'enlightened' 'discussion', pope C-Bar I has deemed "blantant" to be a word in the RomeLand/English dictionary. It has something to do with either women or terrorists... maybe both together...

-D.R.

Anonymous said...

Pope C-Bar I, when asked why there had been 1.5 billion Roman Catholics the day before his inauguration and only 500 million remaining just hours after his rise to power, stated that, "You have to separate the wheat from the chaf. Some people just weren't down with the whole 'young-stoner-who-likes-women' image for a Pontif. Those who've remained are hardcore and I'm certain we can get along just fine without those prudes who couldn't handle the new Catholic style." In related news, the Drug Enforcement Agency announced that it is now putting the Vatican City on its list of countries integral to the worldwide trade in hashish and other mind altering depressants. Also, Roman police have already had to break up two parties at the Vatican aparments and are expecting the situation to get worse before it gets better as the reign of Pope C-Bar I gets up and running. Many experts speculate that these indeed are signs of the apocalypse. When asked to comment, Pope C-Bar I forwarded all further inquiries to Cardinal in Charge of "Crap I Don't Want To Deal With," Joe Kreuser, who is on siesta in the Bahamas and couldn't be reached at this time.

Anonymous said...

The Daily News Miner, on behalf, of Ted Stevens, and Don Young recently announced Alaska's cessation from the U.S. Alaska, now "New Romelandia" will be bolstering the ranks of RomeLand and what shall now be known as Vatican III. In related news, a new census of the Catholic population realized that the 500 million estimate was still dead on, with a margin of error plus or minus 60,000. Census takers believe this error to be caused by the residents of the hometown of the Cardinal of Transportation. Apparently, they were confused about seceeding from the US as they were under the impression that they owed alleginace to a guy with a big fuzzy hat across the ocean. Represenative Lisa Murkowski was not available for comment. It is believed she is on a "road trip" to Canada.

-D.R.