Wednesday, January 25, 2006

If I have a crappy network, and you have a crappy network...

Then together we can have one, big crappy network! That seems to be the reasoning behind the merger of UPN and the WB networks that was announced today. They're going to combine and become one network called "CW". I predict this name will last as long as it takes for everyone on the planet to tell whoever is running this damn thing that the name sucks ass.

I'm being uncharitable, of course. No, not about the name, but about the networks. It's true in the larger extent, but each network has its bright spots: the WB has Smallville, and UPN has the rights to a new Star Trek series. Put those two together, and you've got a winner, right?

If this happened last season, I'd be worried about Smallville being cancelled. But it's kicking so much ass this season that I highly doubt "CW" will pull it. In fact, it might be the most popular show either network has, and if it's not, it's in the top three. So I'm guessing Smallville is in no danger.

I am serious about the rights to Star Trek, though. If I'm putting a new network on the air, I think an announcement about a new Trek series might generate some interest. It may not happen in its first year (fall 2006), but I can't imagine that even the blind lemurs they get to run these networks will keep something with Trek's track record in the drawer for too long. I guess we'll find out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In regards to your posts starting way down your blog page.
The following HTML code is what is causing the issues:

style="clear: both;"

What it does is it doesn't allow anything to be on the sides of whatever follows the code. For example, if a 'post' follows the bit of code then no text or images can be displayed to the left or right of the writing in the post. It accomplishes this w/o deleting stuff by shoving your post far enough down on the page that everything that would be displayed on the side of the writing has already been displayed. This then explains why the posts start after the entire sidebar has been displayed.

-Java