Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's not quite like Flubber, but it's close

So tonight was my first night playing broomball with actual broomball shoes. I've played with a Carleton alumni team here in the cities over the past couple years, but I didn't feel like the cost (usually $60-$80, mine were $60) was worth it, even though most other people on the ice had them. I also felt like I wasn't as good in relation to other people as I was a Carleton, but I figured that was more of an experience factor than an equipment factor. But then I put on these shoes.

Man, I was impressed. I wondered before if it would take me awhile to adjust to them, and it didn't. Aside from my ankle that I sprained last fall feeling a little weird (it was essentially sitting on top of a layer of cushiony rubber/foam, so there was a lot of side-to-side play that it hadn't experienced in a long time), I was off and running. It was great. My speed relative to the other people on the ice went way up, as did my response time. I'm looking forward to playing a whole season with these things (not to mention a real game, since our opponents didn't show and we just scrimmaged). Kreuser's back, baby.

No comments: