Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Snow melt

So the Great British Snow Emergency of 2010 is now over.  The snow all melted inside of two days.  Kind of crazy transition-you could tell something like that was about to happen but it still surprised me.  But then, I'm used to snow sticking around for months.  In unrelated news, I've gone running around Christ Church meadow twice in the last two days, and both the Cherwell and the Isis are almost at flood stage.  Also, both were higher today than yesterday, so if they push up another inch or two I'll have to find a new running route, because mine will be underwater.

Changing the topic, I've become unhappy with the physical dimensions of this blog.  I've already made one foray into editing the html code to make it wider (ultimately I discarded the changes and decided to try again later), so probably sometime in the next week or so this page may be wider than it is now.  Should be exciting.

I just found this article in the New Yorker profiling uber-author Neil Gaiman, which covers his career pretty well and includes some cool facts I didn't know.  Also congrats to Gaiman, who announced last Friday on his blog that he and his girlfriend Amanda Palmer (of The Dresden Dolls) are engaged.

Finally, here are a couple of the photos I took of Oxford in the snow.  I'll see if I can get a couple of shots of the overflowing Cherwell & Isis for comparison.












No comments: