Friday, June 30, 2006

Superman Returns

I can tell you what I like about Richard Donner's original Superman movie in two words: Christopher Reeve. That's pretty much it. I like it when Reeve's onscreen, doing pretty much anything, except flying with Lois Lane while some crappy voice over recites a poem. The rest of the movie ranges from passable to painful. I didn't really like the way Lex Luthor was written (Gene Hackman did an excellent job, but I hated the character). The plot was ok but not great. And I didn't like how Supes got saved by Lex's henchwoman who suddenly had an attack of conscience.

However, if you read a lot of fanboy stuff (and I have), you will discover that I am in the minority in not liking Donner's Superman. Take Bryan Singer: he likes it. He likes it so much, he decided to make it. Not remake it, mind you, because this isn't a remake. No, as the saying goes, good writers borrow, great writers steal. Singer stole a lot of the plot of this movie from Donner's original. And from what I said before, you'd probably think that's a bad thing.

But you'd be wrong. Boy, how you'd be wrong. Because Singer kept what was good: the sense of heroism, the tension between Clark Kent and Superman, and the music. He got rid of the cheesy voice overs, and substituted real emotion and chemistry between Brandon Routh and Kate Bosworth. He tweaked Lex just enough to keep the sense of humor, style and showmanship, and gave him a dangerous edge that makes him much more of a threat. Singer keeps the henchwoman with a conscience, but doesn't give Supes such an easy out at the end. Basically the only thing that's not as good is Clark Kent, because Chritopher Reeve is dead. But Routh does an excellent job-I'm not complaining at all about his performance, because I thought he did a great job. But Reeve was just a little better as Clark. It was just a little more effortless, a little more real. But you don't notice. Because you're too busy looking at everything else.

And that of course, is Singer adds that Donner never could: ass-kicking action supported by massive special effects. The shuttle sequence is brilliant, the final sequence is wrenching, and Superman hasn't looked this good while flying since season 4 of Smallville. Once everything gets going, there's plenty of eye candy to go around.

The movie ultimately suceeds because Singer knows it's about more than Superman beating up on bad guys. It's about someone who embodies the best aspects of humanity, and has the power to do something about all the terrible things that happen in the world. All of them, all at once. Because he's Superman.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WARNING: Massive Spoilers follow:

I feel it only fitting to throw in a couple of comments regarding this movie because I had to book out of it at the end so quickly.
1. The Christ motif in this movie was interesting. I'm not real familiar with the original superman stories or the interpretations since then, but I felt that this movie really portrayed Superman as a Christ/god-like figure. Mind you I'm saying "like" because, of course, he doesn't die and also "people" do not try to kill him. However there are several shots/scenes that really make him appear as a god. I.E. a scene at the end where he falls to earth in a cross-like pose. Also, where he's hovering above the planet listening to everything, and when the TV stations say he's appearing everywhere and no crime is too big or small. Then there's him holding the daily-planet sculpture above his head (ok, that one is more Greek mythology ... which fits really nicely with some commments made by Luther early on.). Then there is Lois Lane's article about the world not needing a savior. These are all very well thought out and executed scenes, which I quite enjoyed mind you. I'm just saying that the comparisons can be drawn and there is a fair amount of material/evidence to play with. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention to the Christopher Reeve movie, but I didn't feel that movie explored this theme either in depth or with the same level of thought.
2. It's kind of funny that in both movies, the main "Plot" as it were deals with real estate. I'm not saying its a bad plot idea (Hell it's better than taxes), but it seems somehow... dull. I mean, Lex Luthor has the opportunity to learn the collected knowledge of numerous highly advanced civilizations and he funnels it into a ... real-estate scheme.
Oh and I thought it entertaining that they couldn't do the scene from the end of 'The Matrix' where Neo puts down the phone and flies up and into the air.

-Java