Wednesday, September 30, 2009

An Important Ability

With two days of class under my belt, my favorite moment so far came during my first Editorial Management lecture. The professors had asked us to list attributes that a successful editor would have. After things like "adaptability" and "patience," one of the profs said (half under his breath) "drinking." The prof who was leading the lecture picked up on this, and said yes, the ability to hold your liquor is a good ability for editors to have. So I figure I've got at least one of them.

4 comments:

Andrew Eppig said...

I think those three qualities are also good to have as a handler. I think you should cite your years as a GOP/TBA handler as evidence of your capacity in all three. I'm sure Dr. Evil will provide references in good standing.

Joe Kreuser said...

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right, Andrew. Those three things are all very good abilities to have as a handler. I wonder if there's a connection between handling and publishing...

Caleb said...

Ten years of Pizza Nights as career development. I wonder if you could write all those expenses off on your taxes…

Unknown said...

Too bad "out control, annoying, incoherent speech, puking in inappropriate places and making offensive comments" wasn't what he meant by "drinking". For a second I thought I could have had a future in publishing.